You just purchased your new house/condo and can’t wait to turn it into your home! But before you move in, there are a few things you need to take care. Here are six things to do when moving into a new home:
- Change your locks. Although it might not seem like a big deal, you have no idea who has a key to your new place. Realtors®, previous owners, maintenance workers — it’s best to be safe and replace ALL of the locks.
- Have the mechanical equipment cleaned and serviced. Your home inspector will thoroughly inspect your new home and make you aware if a household appliance does not work. However, have all of your appliances and mechanical equipment cleaned and serviced. Getting the heating and cooling systems cleaned and other routine tasks done is important.
- Steam clean carpets. Do this before you move in and you won’t have to try and move your furniture. You can rent a machine at a local store (Pick-N-Save or Menards) or you can hire a professional. Either way, your carpet will look and smell brand new.
- Clean your cabinets. Clean the inside of all of your cabinets. Whether it’s your bathroom, laundry room, or kitchen, wipe everything down. This will ensure that your dishes, towels, sheets, blankets,etc. will stay clean.
- Find your circuit breaker and main water value. It’s a good idea to find your circuit breaker and main water value. You can label your circuit breaker, if it’s not done. It’s also a good idea to know where your main water value is in case of a plumbing emergency.
- Get rid of pests. If the home has been vacant for awhile, there’s a good chance you aren’t the only ones living there. Mice, rats, bats, roaches, ants, spiders or other unwanted guests need to leave. You can do-it-yourself or you can hire a professional. Just remember, if you have pets, it’s best to read if the chemicals are safe for them too.
When you’re ready to make a move, give us a call!