The FHA 203K mortgage program gives you the ability to refinance or purchase a home in need of repairs by allowing you to include the cost of repairs in the loan.
What is a FHA 203K mortgage loan?
FHA 203K mortgage loans are an important tool for community and neighborhood revitalization. The 203K program offers borrowers the resources to rehabilitate a home that may be in need of repair. Borrowers have the option of refinancing with a FHA 203K loan in order to make improvements upon their existing residence or to purchase a new home in need of repairs. One loan is used to pay for the purchase (or refinance) of the house and the cost of renovations.
What types of FHA 203K mortgage loan programs are available?
Regular 203K Loans – Regular FHA 203K loans are for larger scale rehabilitation projects.
The following repairs are eligible under the FHA Regular 203K mortgage loan program:
- Structural alterations and reconstruction
- Modernizing and improving the home’s function
- Eliminating health and safety hazards
- Changes that improve appearance
- Reconditioning or replacing plumbing; installing a well and/or septic system
- Adding or replacing roofing, gutters and downspouts
- Adding or replacing floors and/or floor treatments
- Major landscaping and site improvements
- Enhancing accessibility for a disabled person
- Making energy conservation improvements
Streamline 203K Loans – Streamline FHA 203K loans are for smaller rehabilitation projects.
The following repairs are eligible under the FHA Streamline 203K loan program:
- Repair/Replacement of roofs, gutters and downspouts
- Repair/Replace/Upgrade of existing HVAC systems
- Repair/Replace/Upgrade of plumbing and electrical systems
- Repair/Replacement of existing flooring
- Minor remodeling, such as kitchens and baths
- Exterior and interior painting
- Weatherization that includes storm windows and doors, insulation, etc.
- Non-structural improvements for accessibility for persons with disabilities
- Discretionary repair items that may not have been included in the appraisal, such as, repair of exterior decks, basement waterproofing, etc.
What types of properties are eligible?
One to Four Family Properties:
- All types but must be owner-occupied
- One to four family residential homes, which have been completed for at least one year
- Homes that have been demolished or razed as part of the rehabilitation process are eligible as long as the existing foundation system remains intact
- Any property that the buyer wishes to convert (i.e. a single family property into a two to four family property, or a two to four family property into a single family property, etc.)
- All improvements are required to be inside the condo
- Must be owner-occupied
Mixed Use Properties:
- All improvements are required to be made to residential portion only
- Must be owner-occupied
- Storefronts are eligible
- All properties must be at least one year old
- New construction is not eligible
- Commercial properties are not eligible
- Required $5,000 minimum renovation cost
Only certain lenders are delegated the authority by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) & Federal Housing Authority to offer FHA 203K. Inlanta Mortgage is pleased to offer the FHA 203K mortgage loan program.
The 203K program has been the primary tool of the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) for providing insured mortgages for the purchase or refinance of single family properties in need of rehabilitation. The standard program is available for homes with necessary major repairs, whereas the Streamline is available for homes in need of repairs on a smaller scale.